Two-Year Degree & Certificates
The Department of Education establishes partnerships between the Tribe, Higher Education, the community, and participating academic establishments. The goal of the Department of Education is to provide post secondary advising and financial support to Tribal employees and community members working toward a two-year degree or professional certificate.
NACTEP (Native American Career and Technical Education Program) is a federally funded program by the U.S. Department of Education to provide educational opportunities to Native people and their communities. The goal of the grant is to develop and strengthen the Tribe’s workforce and to meet the present and future occupational needs within its economic development plan. The main objectives of the grant are:
- Establishing partnerships between the Tribe, Higher Education, the community, and Lakeside School District.
- Provide academic support and college and career advising at Lakeside High School.
- Provide to GED students career and post-secondary advising.
- Provide career and post-secondary advising to Tribal members.
- Provide post-secondary advising and financial support to Tribal employees and community members working toward meeting local work force needs through two-year degree and certificate programs.
- HED Application
- Certificate of Residency for NIC students
- Copy of Tribal ID or Certificate of Indian Blood
- Copy of Acceptance Letter from College
- Personal Letter stating educational goals
- E-mail address
Frequently Asked Questions
How long before I know if I have been approved for NACTEP funding?
As soon as all of the needed forms are completed and on file, the NACTEP Manager will contact and advise you of the next steps necessary.
Can I still qualify for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)?
Yes. We encourage students to fill out the FAFSA form and accept any aid they qualify for. If there is additional funding needed for tuition and/or books, NACTEP can cover the difference.
Does the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business Leadership transfer to a four-year institution?
Yes. At this time, it transfers to Lewis Clark State College.
Can I receive additional funding for living expenses?
NACTEP can only provide funding for tuition and books.
Links & Resources
- North Idaho College
- University of Idaho
- Washington State University
- Community Colleges of Spokane
- Eastern Washington University
- Lewis Clark State College
- Northwest Indian College
- Salish Kootenai College