Temporary Assistance to Needy Families
The purpose of TANF program is to provide temporary assistance for the care of dependant children in their own homes or the homes of relatives by furnishing financial, medical, and self sufficiency services.
TANF is federally funded through a block grant from the Department of Health and Human Services.
Individuals seeking temporary cash assistance will need to provide all required information prior to 11:00 a.m., on the days requests are presented to Tribal Finance:
Friday and Monday requests could recieve a check on Wednesday.
Wednesday requests could recieve a check on Friday.
If individuals are in compliance with their TANF employment Plan Support assistance may be made to vendors. and you will need to provide information 24 hours prior to TANF program requests submission to Tribal Finance. You will need to be in compliance with your employment plan to receive supportive services.
Purchase order numbers are issued through finance on Tuesday and Thursday only.
Monday – Friday
Closed for Lunch 11:30 – 12:00
Document submission 7:30 – 4:00
Appointments 9:00, 10:30, 1:30, and 2:45
To make an appointment call social services at 208-686-6306
What is the service area?
Benewah and Kootenai Counties Within the Coeur d’Alene Reservation
Who Is Eligible to Apply
Family Member Must be an Enrolled Member of a Federally Reconized Tribe With Low or no Income
What is the Time Frame
A Life Time Limit for a Family is 60 Months
All Parents in TANF are Required to Participate in Work and/or Educational Activities, With a Goal of Transition to Full-Time Employment
- Barrier removal skills: e.g. dysfunctional families, child abuse/neglect, mental health, family counseling, etc…
- Training and education: adult basic, GED career info systems, computer literacy, remedial reading
- Job skills training. 4. Employment, job services, Tribal Employment Rights Office, Tribal Human Resources
Types of TANF and Work Activity Requirements
Must involve Family intervention and in some Cases ICW.
Single Parent Families:
20 hrs a Week Employment ready Work Activitites.
Two Parent Families:
Complete 40 hours a week employment ready work activities: FY00-03 , 20 hrs.
To Apply For TANF You Will Need To Provide:
- Tribal affiliation tribal ID from the Enrollment Department
- Proof you are a reservation resident from the Housing Department. Rental verification form or utility bill with your name and address
- Birth certificates for children www.vitalcheck.com
- Social Security cards for all family members: http://www.sss.gov/regist.htm
- Child custody and support orders (if you are a single parent)
- Immunization records of children not in school
- School registration
- Marriage, divorce, and/or separation papers
- Valid Idaho drivers license.
- If there is a male over 18 and under 25 in your household they will need to provide a proof of selective service registration. http://www.sss.gov/regist.htm
- Auto registration or lease/usage agreement, and proof of auto insurance.
- Employment termination verification
- Disabilities if claimed, and proof you have applied for SSI benefits
- File for unemployment claim and work registration www.idahoworks.com