Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a member?

  • Are you a member of another Tribe already?
  • Do you have a parent or ancestor on our rolls?
  • Do you reside on the reservation?

If you are not a member of a federally recognized tribe and the answer is no to either of the last two requirements, then transferring into the Coeur d’Alene tribe is not possible. Additional Information can be found here: The National Museum of the American Indian

Where do I begin checking my ancestry? I know I have Indian blood in my family.

Gather as much information about your grandparents and/or great-grandparents and go to the genealogy section of the nearest city library. If you have birthdates and places of your ancestor’s, that would be very beneficial. From this point, you should check with the area BIA office to see which tribes are in the region of your ancestors birthplace and begin your research with the local tribe (s). Then you will want to contact the closest tribe(s) and provide the information that you have discovered to the enrollment office and ask them to check their rolls and for a family tree if an ancestor did appear on the rolls.

Where do I go for blood test to show that I am Indian?

There is no such test. If you wish to test for paternity, check with your local court system to request a valid clinic/hospital for testing. Remember, you must have another person that you are testing to show that there is a relationship with to justify the testing. If the other person being tested is not an enrolled member, then the paternity test is unnecessary.

Am I available to receive benefits from the tribe because I live here on the reservation?

Only if you are a member can you receive tribal benefits. However, you might want to check with Marimn Health and the Tribal Wellness Center for eligibility for those services. If you are a member of another federally recognized tribe, you may want to check with the Fish and Wildlife program for options there.