The beginning of Red Spectrum Communications
In November 2002 the Coeur d’Alene Tribe submitted an application for the USDA
RUS Community Connect Broadband grant.
In our application we proposed to develop a state-of-the-art Tribal Community
Technology Center in the hub of the Coeur d’Alene Reservation - Plummer, Idaho.
This included the deployment of a broadband system that would provide broadband
transmission services to critical community facilities and local residents, as
well as isolated farms and rural home sites.
The basic goals of the project are:
- Offer basic broadband transmission service to all residential and business
- Deploy basic broadband service to critical community facilities free of all
charges for at least 2 years located within our service delivery area.
- Build and operate a Tribal Community Technology Center in the city of Plummer,
Idaho, and make broadband transmission service available, free of all charges to
users within the center for at least two years.
- Assist community members at the Tribal Community Technology Center to increase
their computer literacy and technical skills.
- Promote the use of the Technology Center as a focal point for education and
distribution of broadband to interested subscribers.
The main considerations in our system design includes:
The Community Technology Center:
The Wireless Local Loop: communication towers and microwave equipment.
- Network Operations Center (NOC): broadband connections and equipment.
- The computer lab: community workstations & peripherals.
- The Customer Service office: account setup, billing, and customer support.
Customers: end user equipment and lab needs.
With this in mind, the broadband system has been carefully planned and designed
to be as economical and practical as possible while meeting the requirements of
the RUS grant. The network elements and components used have been extensively
tested and verified. It is a straight forward and easy to understand network,
which will serve as the technology foundation for delivering broadband services
to the residents of the Coeur d’Alene Reservation.